02 February 2011

Necessities

Well, Landon and I were the higher of the two bidders...so you know what that means? We're one step closer to becoming homeowners! We've only gotten this far in the process once (out of four previous times), and we're feeling positive that this townhouse is the one.


If the inspection, financing and all that stuff works out, and we are able to move into this house, we'll need a few things immediately. And while I would love to dive into the place with a paintbrush in one hand and fabric swatches in the other, I have to remind myself that there are other, more practical things we need before we can start personalizing the place.


The top five things we absolutely have to have when we move in:


1 & 2) A washer and dryer. The townhouse has W/D hook-ups, but no washer or dryer. Definitely a must, as I don't want to wash all of our clothes in our sink. That would get really old, really fast. We don't need anything fancy--just a basic set of machines to get the job done.


3) A refrigerator. The townhouse came with a stove and a dishwasher and nothing else. This purchase might be even more important than the washer and dryer because we could wash our clothes at my mom and dad's for a bit if we absolutely had to, but we're not going to eat only dried or non-perishable food. So a fridge is a must. Now, the dilemma: I want stainless steel appliances, but the stove and dishwasher are black. Should we match the new fridge to the old appliances, or buy the fridge I really want even though the kitchen will not match until we replace the other two appliances? Decisions, decisions.


4) Blinds. There are exactly two sets of blinds in the entire house. And as much as I'm sure I will like our neighbors, I don't want them to know THAT much about me. Plus, I'm scared of the dark, and I love closing all the blinds and curtains when the sun goes down and turning on all the lights. If you didn't know me, you'd think there was a vampire or something after me...


5) The only really frivolous thing on this list: a couple strings of these lights
from World Market
I've wanted to put these on our porch since we started looking for houses. Nothing says, "Welcome to our house!" like party lights! :)

1 comment:

  1. Spend the extra money on a nice set of blinds. We still have the cheap-o blinds that our previous landlord had installed and I HATE THEM. They bend and just look junky. And the cheap ones collect dust that is almost impossible to clean off. Of course our dogs like to poke their noses in between the blinds which doesn't help with the bending either.

    I really want wooded blinds and I even want shutters for my kitchen, but currently all money is going to the wedding, so I'm dealing with the cheap blinds for now. If you can swing it, get some quality blinds! You'll be so thankful later.

    ReplyDelete